Mayuko's blog

Since everyone else seems to be doing this... I started as well (although it took me two months to actually publish the first page). We'll see how long it will last...

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Internet Back!

I just got my internet fixed. Now I am back online... back to the world. So since the last post, I had some interesting events. I went to Cambodia several times, north-eastern Thai, scuba diving, and Ho Chi Minh.


I am still slooooooooowly getting used to my jobs, projects, and counterparts in Cambodia. It's interesting country, on its way of recovery from a civil war.


OK. so... During one of my trips to Cambodia, I met this interesting driver. He picked me up from the airport, and ...... I notice something.


ah.... what is he wearing? .... is that a police uniform?


He spoke good English, so we got talking. He is a tourist police, who works in the country's famous Angkor Wat. Being a police, he receives $25/month, 4kg of rice, and some cloths as his salary. He has a baby and a wife to support, and of course, $25/mo won't do it. He says if he works in other divisions, like transport, airport, passport offices, he can expect "side income" but as a tourist police, he won't be able to expect much of that.... So he now works part-time policeman, part-time driver. Unexpectedly, right in my car, I got a taste of Cambodia's tough challenge ahead in combatting corruption and securing much needed qualified personnel in government/public offices.

--------



Here are some pictures from what I've done in the past month or so..















These pictures are from the Northeastern Thai, at one of the project sites. Got to lunch in a fabulous location with a view.











This one is from Bangkok. I went on a boat canal tour, which was pretty nice... When you are in town, I recommend you take on this tour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home